Monday, June 30, 2014

Teen vs. Spiders



This is Bob.  He lives in a crack on my wall.  Although he has molted and doubled in size I have let him live.. so far!

As a follow up post to my spider experience I thought I'd share how the battle is going.
After that first night I armed myself and got brave. With a broom and a can of bug killer I waged war on my roommates. I now have a nightly ritual of checking my room pre-dusk (if possible), after dark, and before bed and clearing the walls of any brave spiders who seek refuge past the plastic lining my thatch.
Part of me feels bad. Everyone keeps telling me the spiders are really harmless and actually help kill some of the harmful bugs like malaria carrying mosquitoes. But I still can't over how creepy they look!
I must say though. Back in the states I could not kill a spider the size of a penny. Now my rule of thumb is anything under the size of a quarter can stay. I ate lunch with one on the wall in front of me a little bigger than a silver dollar yesterday. And last night there was a tiny spider on my leggings after bathing which I promptly squished, shook out, and put on. Who knows, with this kind of progress maybe I'll call these 8 legged bugs friends by time I leave Africa.
Facebook message from Kelly Brannigan July 2014
On that note I want to thank everyone who has sent out prayers for me to help get over this fear. Luckily the snakes don't scare me too much and I'll just get a big stick to beat those. Funny too since those are the ones that can kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment