Friday, July 4, 2014

Zam Twitter- June 2014

They say the best form of flattery is imitation and I sure hope that is true as this idea is stolen, errr I mean borrowed from a fellow Zambian volunteer. Check out Matt's blog at www.fishinginzambia.wordpress.com.

June 2014-

6/9/14-Woke up early to leave for the airport. Stopped and had my last chick-fil-a meal on the way.

6/10/14- Took my last shower for a while at the hotel in Philidelphia during staging.

6/11/14- "I'm sitting in Newark airport waiting to check my massive luggage after a sleepless night."

6/12/14- Zambia Day 1. Spider rules to live by which had to be employed night 1: If it lays flat against the wall you want them around, if they stand up off the wall, kill it.

6/16/14- First site visit to Maureen's site in Southern province. Met a cheif while dropping off other volunteers.

6/18/14- Learned how to milk a cow; I'm not particularly good at it.

6/19/14- I'm not used to seeing so many unattended children walking the roadside.

6/20/19- Said goodbye to quite possibly the nicest host family in all of Southern! Shout out to Ba Levius and Ba Ellen. They were so sweet telling us we were part of the family and should come back to see them anytime.

6/20/14- Said hello to a new host family and a spider infested hut for my 12 week training program.

6/21/14- Got brave and waged war on the spiders.

6/22/14- The wind was so strong it blew off chunks of my thatch roof. I now have a Zambian sun light.

6/23/14- Start of language training. I'm learning bemba which means I don't yet know where I'll be placed.

6/24/14- Feeling frustrated, seems like training is all or nothing. A day filled with too much important info or worthless common sense sessions.

6/25/14- I can see my breath this morning. I underestimated African winters.

6/27/14- Giant tarantula spotted directly in my path to the chimbusu. Assessed the size of the spider and my sandled feet. Decided in favor of the spider after visuals of it running up my leg if I tried to stomp it. Spoke outloud to the spider (you do crazy things in Africa) "Ok Mr. Trantula, you are going to go back to the bush and NOT my hut; and I'm going to go this other way and pretend this never happened."

6/29/14- So much wind! I thought the tin roof of my host family's house might just blow off!

No comments:

Post a Comment