Monday, June 9, 2014

Departure day

The fundamental principles of Tai Chi and Taoist living teach primarily two things:
To move through relaxation and to be empty.
 
Not by coincidence the scripture tells us to "be still" and " empty our cup before it can be filled".
I woke up at 5am in a state of "monkey mind" too much blood in the head. Thoughts racing: did I pack that,  what if I'm overweight on my bags,  how will I get to the hotel,  I never finished cleaning out my car,  do I have what I need for these next couple years, on and on my sleepless mind raced.  Until I decided to try to quiet that monkey mind of mine.
 
I took my tai chi master's instruction and sat up in bed,  rooted my tail bone,  raised my crown to heaven and with a mere 5 minutes and only a few minimal interruptions from the monkey mind I found peace.  I found silence and stillness.  Now I could talk to my God, now I could get out of my head and into his spirit.  Now I could rest. So with my short early morning meditation followed by prayer I went back to sleep.
 
I arose an hour or so later to a hug from my dad.  The sea of emotion had calmed from the earlier crashing waves to a gentle, soothing rock that bid me start my day.  I dressed, loaded my bags, and said my goodbyes.  My mom and I stopped for one last taste of the crack chicken I call chick - fil-a, and then we were to the airport.
 
The art of meditation (and anyone who can sit still longer than 5 minutes is a miracle worker in my book) is a lost art among our modern day culture.  I'm not saying people don't do it and do it well.  I'm saying our lifestyle has made it hard.
 
But after my encounter with peace this morning and experiencing, if only for a few mins, what it means to "be still and know that I am God" I think I will add this to part of my Zambia resolve.  Or perhaps it will be a tool to use in accomplishing that resolve to slow down and breathe in the beauty that surrounds us all.
 
It is in Zambia I hope to become the best me I can be. To Zambia!

No comments:

Post a Comment