Saturday, June 7, 2014

Everyone has a story

One of the interesting parts of telling people what I'm about to embark upon is that I get a lot of advice.  You see everyone has a travel story and even if it's not their story I usually get some recommendations based upon some framework of theirs. 

The advice stretches from things to bring, to things to look out for. But I think my favorite question so far has been "are you tough enough for that?" To wit I replied " Mama didn't raise no sissies!" (Yes I know I'm teaching English and yes I know that is not proper English.)

I think this concept of storytelling, of sharing life experiences is what makes us human. I also think it reveals an inherent desire to relate to our fellow man. At the same time it also demonstrates how different each one of us are and how differently we experience the world around us. One man's horror story is another man's paradise.  With that in mind I try to take all the advice and travel tales at face value while deriving the wisdom within. Remembering that my journey will be very different for many reasons.

My story will be carved out by my gender, my white face, my religious views, my profession, my ability to communicate even without knowing the local tongue, the relationships I form both with fellow PCVs and locals, my street smarts and how well I employ them, and even factors outside my control right down to the weather and the actions of others.

No matter how how my story turns out I know one thing. It will be uniquely mine and it will be beautiful.


1 comment:

  1. The best of luck and blessings on your journey Teen! We are all rooting for you. :)

    ReplyDelete