Thursday, April 3, 2014

What is family?

I used to think family was just limited to the people who shared a last name and bloodline. I come from a family where blood IS thicker than water and you do anything for family (within reason and not promoting destructive behaviors). The notion that people may not want to be family with their own kin was foreign to me. Over the years though, particularly the last few, I've realized family is not just the people you are stuck with but the people you choose.

I've learned that community becomes family if you want and let it. I've learned that family gets you through all those times when you just can't stand on your own two feet. I most certainly have friends and acquaintances but I sure have a lot of family. Silly me I thought my "family" was big before I had this concept in my head.

This being said my pending adventure will lead me away from my blood family, my motorcycle family, my African/Jamoral family, and my church family here.......but that doesn't mean I'll be without. I tend to make "families" everywhere I go. I can't wait to meet my Peace Corps Zambia family, my host family, and my Zambian Africa family.

While I know this concept of many families may sound foreign or even stressful to some I have found that it brings ultimate peace. I personally have never had a worry about a roof over my head or food to eat, and this isn't because times haven't been hard or money scarce, but rather because I know I have so many people that love me so much they would never let me go hungry or cold. This family I have built extends so far I know that no matter what, I'm never alone.

This concept of family is what gives me strength, what assures me I'll be successful. Because I know if I fall it's ok and they will be right there to pick me back up. I find the concept of having family over friends makes me a more giving and supportive member of the relationship. I'm looking forward to seeing if I continue this model of becoming part of families elsewhere. But if I had to guess I'm going to come back with a lot more family than I left with.

That being said I'd like to thank all my families here for always being there when I need you most. There are too many names to name but you know who you are. And I assure each of you who I consider family, I will reach out if I need something. Promise! Love you all so much. I wouldn't be half the girl I am today without each and every one of you. You all have a very special place in my heart. And of course this isn't goodbye just Bon Voyage for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment