Thursday, April 10, 2014

Jamoral- My Slice of Africa

I'll let you in on a secret. This has been a long time in the works. I don't mean the year long application process. I mean my heart for this. I remember a video shown at an Acquire the Fire conference in high school promoting African missions; ever since that day the idea has tugged at my heart. Years went by. At one point I looked into a mission trip, but as it were I didn't have the ability to pay someone, take a sabbatical, and go do my heart's desires. With every passing movie about Africa, every person who mentioned a visit, or every friend made from Africa my desire grew greater.

The terms under which I applied to Peace Corps were not however for service in Africa. The terms were: anywhere, any sector, anytime. I had 0 say. Because of this I feel incredibly blessed to carry out my desire in a way far greater than I could have ever dreamed. I do not get to take a field trip to provide a little relief effort and feel good about myself, I get to move across the ocean to live with, love with, and hurt with these joyous people.

But before I knew I'd be serving in Zambia I found my own piece of Africa right here in Colorado. May I introduce Jamoral. It means "listening to each other" and I think we do a pretty darn good job of that in this family we've formed.
...

2 comments:

  1. That's like a Swiss Army dress. You could unwrap the head piece and use it for a picnic. Functional and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, Teen. Your Jamoral family will be waiting for your return, and holding you in our hearts.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete