Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The cat is out of the bag!

Well it is official. I have submitted my resignation at work. HOLY WOW! What a weird feeling! For a job laden with problems and challenges I never thought submitting my resignation would be so hard.  However my company is a great place to work with great people and great clients and THAT is what makes this next step so hard.

I'm so fortunate to have the support of my management as well as the safety net of coming back to the organization after my stint in Africa. Though my boss, who is from South Africa, warned me "you just might fall in love with it and not want to come back." I suppose only time will tell on that one! But after a 2 year run of unemployment it is sure nice to have a backup plan.

I feel like the reactions of staff and management say a lot about what I've been able to help create here and the role I play. It leaves me with a heavy heart to say goodbye to such amazing coworkers. But one of my many mantras I like to live by is that growth only occurs outside of our comfort zones. I just have an extreme way of doing things I suppose!

This past weekend I read Dr. Suess' "Oh the Places You'll Go" to a friend's daughter. Funny how Dr. Suess has a way of summing up this experience and life in general so perfectly.


Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own.  And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

...
All Alone!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.

And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.

....
On and on you will hike
and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are.

You'll get mixed up, of course,
as you already know.
You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.


And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!  

1 comment:

  1. Congrats Teen! What a huge step! You're doing something that very few people have the courage to do. We are all proud of you!

    ReplyDelete