Sunday, January 18, 2015

Welcome Back



  
 I returned home after 5 weeks away from site. I couldn’t believe my
eyes. The rains had only just started when I left but 5 weeks with
regular rain turned my sight into a jungle! The sand and dirt path to
my house is now covered in grass and greenery is sprouting from all
areas. Unfortunately my house was also experiencing the rain in the
worst way. I left my key with a family I could trust to watch over the
house and they did move some things while my host father added more
thatching to the roof but without constant attention these mud houses
fall to ruin extremely fast. There were lots of termite tunnels on the
walls and the wooden poles in my roof are completely covered. I can
hear the crackling of them eating away at the wood while I sleep.
Without the presence of my kitty mice had taken over the house along
with the mold. My kitchen was covered in mouse poop and there were
holes in everything from a plastic floor mat to corners of books
chewed away. I threw away a reed mat covered in mold and a bamboo
shelf that was green, black, and white with mold. No sooner did I put
them outside of my house did villagers ask if they could have them. I
was hesitant given the health concern of all the mold but I guessed
they would get taken in the night regardless so I made sure to explain
that they needed to be thoroughly cleaned. My floors were covered in
dirt and took a while to sweep and mop up the mess. Luckily Asia came
home with me to spend New Year’s Eve at my site and was a huge help in
neutralizing the mess. Together with a friend in the village we were
all able to get things cleaned up and back to a mostly functional
state. I still don’t know what to do about my roof and found that
wrapping my shelves in plastic may have kept the rain off but locked
the moisture in creating a perfect environment for mold. Despite still
having some cleanup to do it was a warm welcome back home and I found
that I did miss some of the joys of bush life; though I was
simultaneously reminded of the struggles that come with simple living
as well. I have one more week until school starts to get things
situated and get back into the swing of things. I look forward to the
school year and the beauty the rains bring even if it  means a leaky
roof and waking in the night to place bowls under leaks. While it was
nice to get out site for a while 5 weeks was entirely too long. It’s
good to be home, even if home is a mud hut.


No comments:

Post a Comment