Monday, January 26, 2015

The joy of giving

During our Pre-service training one thing Zambians noted about American culture is that we don't share or give as freely as perhaps they are accustomed to. Many voulunteers disputed this matter saying, "but don't you see us share our lunches, and our cokes, and such?" My thoughts are this: yes we shared our lunch that was a portion for three, yes we gave a friend a sip of a cold beverage, I'm not saying we don't share but I'm saying a majority of American's, myself included, share or give when it's convienant. Yes I'm making a mass cultural statement that doesn't accurately reflect each individual but in many ways it does reflect the overlying appearance of our society.

Let me demonstrate: today I went to the river to do my normal chores. One of the older girls that lives around was there fishing. First of all she stopped fishing to come help me with my dishes. When we were done I asked how many fish she had caught so far. She held up a small fish not quite the width of my palm to show her catch. I smiled and bid her wishes for a good catch. Before I could leave a another young girl was offering me the fish. I insisted it was their fish to eat and that I didn't need it, but as is so common here, before I could hardly say no thanks, the fish was being scaled and gutted for me to take home and eat.  Will the girl catch more fish for the family to eat for dinner tonight? Maybe, if she stays all day then likely. But the point to me was that she gave up her morning's worth of fishing efforts and quite possibly the only protein she will have today without hesitation.

Yes the fish was small and yes lots of people fish here regularly but to me it wasn't the size of the gift it was the complete willingness to give without thought of her own needs. To put someone else before yourself entirely. I'll be totally honest with you if the tables had been turned I would not have been so selfless.  But it humbled me today to take this girl's only fish. I even started a fire just to fry  the little thing. And it was only a couple tiny bites but more than the protein it gave my body was the nourishment it gave my heart.

And perhaps next time when I think about being stingy with money or food or whatever I might have I'll be a little more like the girl with the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment