Thursday, March 13, 2014

The legacy of generations.

It would come as no surprise to most who know me that I come from a long line of teachers. My Aunts, my Grandmother, my Great Grand Mother, and many before were teachers.

It seems to reason that I would be selected to teach English in Zambia. The job role of a rural education development volunteer excites me to think that I will perpetuate the legacy of so many kin before me. And I'm not alone, my younger sister is a science teacher. Heck if Josh could teach math we'd have all the primary subjects covered!

While my professional life is centered around managing a team I have always found ways to use my natural teaching gift. I taught Swing Dance for 9 years, I coached a Speech and Debate team for many years,and I've tutored English now for over a year. I also conduct copious amounts of training with my organization which could be thought of as teaching to a professional audience.

So you see, the leap to teaching English in third-world Zambia is really not so big of a stretch.

It makes me to smile to think what my Great Grandma Smith and Grandma Chrismon would say if they could see me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment