Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Peace Corps Family

Hello Everyone,
I had just about given up on posting any more entries due to the sheer frustration of connectivity and the ability to upload but this story needs to be told.

There are many reasons to join the Peace Corps and plenty of reasons not to but this past week I have experienced first hand one of the better sides of a Peace Corps service and that is the Peace Corps family. You may hear people say this and think it sounds super cheesy but let me tell you; this past week I have experienced an extended family, that I never knew, in a way I can't vocalize my appreciation for enough.

I was supposed to be on "vacation" in Namibia this past week. My vacation quickly turned nightmare when I was robbed my first day in the country and left without a shred of identification or money (I am alright). Let me tell you trying to get one without the other is IMPOSSIBLE! Luckily I am a PCV which means I am not alone. Not even close to it.

I called a PCV in Zambia to get the Namibia number (since that emergency info was now gone also). On the other end of the duty phone was a super supportive voice who quickly dropped his weekend plans, picked me up, and started to help me put together the pieces. My pass through of Windhoek has become a week long mess of paperwork and shoestring budgeting. Thankfully for the PC staff and volunteers of Namibia they have helped me to not only sort out the mess of money and ID but they have helped me salvage a bit of vacation in the process.

I cannot express the outpouring of support I've received from both staff and PCVs alike. People I have never met before have offered to give me money, have fed me, have housed me, and have spent numerous hours in offices helping me recover/complete various paperwork or funds. When I was so close to finally getting a replacement passport I was told I needed $135 USD! I didn't have that much in Namibian dollars let alone US dollars. Every step of the way there seemed to be a hiccup, but one of the US staff members loaned me the cash and when we discussed how to repay the only thing she asked was that I pay it forward one day when I have the opportunity to do so. You better believe I will.

I might not have gotten to skydive over the desert or kayak with the seals or enjoy any of the planned activities but what I did get to see was an inside look at Namibia from the gracious homes of PCVs. I didn't get to shop the vast craft markets and bring home all the loot I wanted but the couple pieces I was able to get (after getting some cash from home, which was it's own headache) I bought from groups that PCVs work directly with and I know exactly what went into each piece. To me this is far more valuable than having a bunch of junk that is potentially made in China or India anyway! Quality over quantity.

I got to have an impromptu dinner with 6 other Namibian PCVs over homemade burritos, wine, and cake while watching the sunset over a lake. I've been able to learn about other PCV projects here and look at what they are doing in their communities and learn a lot about the culture of Namibia that I otherwise might've missed.

So, while losing everything is no fun (do be vigilant when traveling), I have had such an outpouring of support from this extended family that I call Peace Corps. If you are contemplating joining PC and not sure about leaving friends and family in the States behind I can only say to you, you are missing out on a wonderful large family abroad. Bad things may happen, life happens! But with the support of family I am still smiling at all the warmth (literally!) and beauty that Namibia has to offer.

No names have been mentioned but if you read this you know who you are and I am forever grateful for everything each one of you did for me in my time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment