Monday, June 1, 2015

The love of a child

There are many joys in this world but I never thought I'd say one of them was a child, or in this case many children. Tons of kids hang out at Ba Teeny's house but not all of them are "my kids." Only a select 6 of them get to call that privilege their own.

In my previous life I wasn't a kid person and while I still wouldn't say I am, these 6 kids have wormed their way deep into my heart to a place of love I didn't know was possible. These kids are what keep me smiling day after day. Yeah they drive me crazy sometimes but they can be a lot of help and are always good entertainment. I think sometimes people have the visual in their head of African children as sad, hungry, sickly children from the "sponsor a child" commercials but this couldn't be further from the truth. These little smiles and constant giggles and laughter are enough to melt even the coldest of hearts. Yeah they are dirty and sticky but once you get to know them their personalities override any mishap in their appearance.

These kids are on my porch first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening. I find myself calling out for them by name like a bamaayo to give them something or ask a question. These kids are so patient with my horrible bemba and will wait 5 minutes, continually repeating a word for me while I attempt to look it up. They bombard me with requests from dawn to dusk and yet somehow I don't mind too much. I've taught them to say please when they want something and answer my "what's up" with a "not-y much." They help me with yard work and were an excellent demolition crew this past week when we had to remove an old fallen roof.  They all look about 2-3 years younger than they are due to poor nutrition but they are clever and inventive kids.
Porch Dwellers
Joshua pushing Calvin on the swing.
Roof Demolition
Teen with Calvin, Maggie, Joshua

Elvis is the oldest and is in 4th grade. He regularly teaches me new bemba words and relays messages to the others when he understands. He is a huge help and the only one who doesn't tire out in two minutes when we are doing a project.  He has learned to throw a Frisbee quite well. He's also become my expert photographer and can operate the camera and phone camera, which is quite a feat here. You would be surprised how many Zambians can't get a clear photo. He's always looking out for the other kids and has a heart of gold.


                                                                         Elvis


Joyce is next in line and though only in 1st grade she has a very mothering and playful spirit. She loves to dance and will often ask me to play my bemba music, while she circles her hips with adult like expertise song after song. She likes to test her boundaries often and I tell her no more than any of the other kids, but I applaud her for not giving up.
                                                                         Joyce

Calvin is not yet in school but he is a sharp kid and picks up on things quickly. He is so sweet and loves to high five and snuggle. He's very independent even at such a young age and can often be found caring for his younger sister, Maggie.
                                                                       Calvin

Joshua has the biggest toothless grin you will ever see and I'd challenge you not to smile when he flashes it. Probably the most photogenic of my kiddos, the lens loves him.  He is energetic yet very observant. He is sometimes the only one on my porch and can found just watching the world around him in silent awe and bliss.


                                                                 Teen and Joshua

Maggie was very shy at first but has warmed up to me and can be heard repeating "Ba Teeny" as she runs to the house with a grin on her face. She loves sweeties and never hesitates to ask for them even though she knows she's not supposed to. She loves to giggle and follow the older kids around.
                                                               Calvin and Maggie

Baby Beverly has just started walking and might be the only Zambian baby to not cry at my presence. Every time she passes by on her mother's back and isn't fast asleep I always receive a large grin and wave of her tiny hand. Sometimes she accompanies her older sister over to my house with the rest of the kids and watches them play from the shade of the porch.


These are my 6 porch dwellers as I fondly call them. My ewes, my kiddos, and definitely my buddies.  I built them a tree swing and taught them how to play war and throw a Frisbee. We sing, laugh, and dance together. When I come back from a trip I can almost always rely on their little feet carrying them as fast as they can down the path to greet me with hugs and carry any bag light enough. A sight that always warms my heart.

This morning I received news that the family comprising of Elvis, Joyce, Joshua, and Beverly are moving. The news crushed my spirit in a way completely unexpected. I've never really loved kids before so I couldn't explain the tears filling my eyes and the sorrow filling my heart. The thought of not having them around is almost overbearing. I spent the whole morning with tears constantly welling up as I tried to imagine life without their presence. Luckily, Calvin and Maggie will still be around but it won't be the same. Often times these kids make me forget I am in a foreign land and this coupled with the fact that some of my best adult friends in the village have moved away just serves to remind me of how lonely this place can really be.

The love these kids show me day in and day out is almost unconditional. Even if I'm having a bad day and am harsh with them they will be back first chance possible. I think Calvin sensed my sadness when I heard about the other kids leaving and with great intuition, that evening,  he gently gave me a kiss before saying goodnight and running off. Never before have I had a desire to want to know the love a child can give but these little guys have shown me what it really means to love with all your heart. I think the beauty of their ability to display love so freely lies in their innocence. They,  unlike adults, don't focus on the color of my skin but rather on who I am to them. I still don't want kids of my own right now but at least I feel like if it were to happen one day it might not be worst fate. And hopefully I can take a page from their book and love with a little more blind faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment