Thursday, March 26, 2015

Teen's Technology Troubles

I am officially a Zambia PCV. I have 4 phones. 2 blackberries, 1 smartphone, and 1 in-between internet phone. Because of the multiple phone carriers and coverage here it is not uncommon for PCVs to have multiple phones. I'd like to think 4 is outrageous but I can think of 2 other PCVs off the top of my head who have also had this many phones. That's the other thing about phones here. Zambia chews them up and spits them out not unlike the gnashing of teeth displayed while the children eat sugarcane.

Phone number 1 was the unlocked smartphone I brought to country with me from America, a galaxy note. Unfortunately the reception on this phone is pretty poor, possibly due to age, and it works very rarely, and not at all at my site.  I can't get  any sort of data coverage. The calling coverage is medial at best. Because of this I purchased phone number 2.

Phone #2 is my samsung chat. An "internet" phone as they call it which can access webpages and facebook but no "apps". This has been my main phone and has the perk of dual sim so I can put both my MTN and Airtel sim cards in it and switch back and forth to find the best reception. This poor phone has already taken quite the beating and my "a" key frequently sticks now. This phone, and problem, is the reason for my poorly spelled and punctuated posts on facebook.  It is also responsible for all the 2megapixel photo uploads you might have seen.

During training I learned that phone data is expensive. They don't necessarily have monthly plans like we do in the USofA, it's all prepaid. So every mb of data, second of talk time, and text message adds up. I found out that through Airtel they offered a blackberry data plan that gave me unlimited data for 36kr a month. Way better than the 500mb I was buying for 50kr. So I petitioned my friends stateside for an old blackberry. My friend found an old one and got it unlocked and my lovely mother shipped it over. So phone number 3 was an old blackberry. I was so excited when I got it. I loaded up the sim card and tried to download an app. Nothing. I had to wait until we went to Lusaka to take it to the phone store, who told me it  needed an OS upgrade. So I took it to the blackberry store only to find out the cable needed they didn't have. So I scoured the shops at Mansa Hill Shopping Mall to try to find an older miniusb cord. Nothing. So I pocketed the phone. Next time I returned to Lusaka I brought the cable with me and left the phone overnight for the 4 hour upgrade. When I came back the following day they said it had failed and gave me the number of a shady guy in the market that I could try. I had no idea how to get there nor would we be taken there during our time in Lusaka for swear in. So I had a glorified bar phone (just calls and text).

Phone number 4 was gifted to me recently by the PCV who I replaced. She said it was locked and had to be unlocked in Lusaka. I made plans to do it next time I was there but luckily another PCV knew a trick and I was able to get the phone working! Hallelujah! The Airtel service provider is the one I have to use in the phone but at least I was able to download whatapps and viber. That's right you can message me through either of those now! My connection here isn't good enough to make calls through viber though. Bummer. Now the only problem I face with this phone is the "o" key and "delete" key don't work. :( Why is it always the vowels that break! Why can't something insignificant like x break!

So the next part of the technological snafu was the bluetooth keyboard I brought to connect to said phone and type up blog posts with. It works beautifully. Unfortunately it only works with Android and Apple operating systems. This means I can type drafted blog posts on the no-data smartphone and then when I finally get somewhere with working wifi (very seldom) I can upload said posts.

Whew! That being said it has been a struggle to do justice to this poor blog and with the very poor connections photo uploads to the blog are out of the question. Those are done by my wonderful mother stateside when I physically mail flash drives packed with month's worth of photos.

So in short, I apologize for the infrequency of posts and the bulk of posts, when I do post, but such is life and luck in Zambia! Not all of us can be posted right next to cell towers like Matt (fishinginZambia.wordpress.com). But then again not all of us can live close to a beautiful waterfall. You win some you lose some, and right now I'm clearly losing the battle with technology in the bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment